Friday, April 28, 2006

Weekend Assignment - Your New Music

I've been incommunicado for a while now. My goal of getting back online hit a few snags. Hopefully, I'll be back at it on a regular basis again soon. I'm away from home for a couple of days where I have access to the Internet and Scalzi's latest writing assignment at By the Way struck my fancy. So here goes:

What are some of the most recent music albums you have bought? Name up to three.
Extra Credit: Did you buy these albums on CD, or did you get them online through iTunes or another music service?

Hmmm. It's going back a ways since I've actually bought a record album. I hate to sound like an old fogey, but new music really sucks. It all sounds formulaic. It's all hip hop and rap and pop that passes for country and rock bands that all sound the same. You finally hear a good song and buy the CD and the other 13 songs suck. And my musical tastes probably quit evolving back in my college days or shortly thereafter. Anyway, here are three of my more recent purchases:

Jars of Clay - Who We Are Instead - I'm not very religious, but I love this Contemporary Christian band. I've got almost all of their albums, even paid to join their fan club to get an special live album. They've got a clean, crisp sound and their songs are actually about something.

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - I bought this to replace the album that I used to have. It's a classic from the Seventies, when most of the original band was still around.

Depeche Mode - The Singles - I bought both Singles albums. There is a single album and a double album that together cover their entire career. I've always been a Depeche Mode fan and have had the random album here and there, but these albums have got everything on them - all their biggest hits and a bunch more that should have been.

Extra Credit - I bought all these albums at the same time many months ago at a used CD store. I reached a point a few years back where I just finally stopped buying new CDs. The prices are just too damned high for not much entertainment. I may buy or borrow the occasional song online, but it just doesn't seem very cost effective to buy albums. If the record companies lowered the price a little and actually put out some goodstuff from time to time, I might reconsider.

3 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger yp said...

I loved who we are instead! Its was a new sound for them eh.

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger fdtate said...

Yeah. Great album. That's another thing I like about Jars. All their songs and albums don't sound the same.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Carly said...

I just recently heard about Jars of Clay. A good friend of my shared their music with me...now I'm a fan! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home